Pigeons need a living space that is more than just a cage. Whether you are keeping pigeons for a hobby or as a trade, you need to give them substantial shelter. A simple pigeon house has solid construction, is off the ground and is easy to clean. You can build a pigeon house with building materials found at your local hardware store.
Instructions to Build A Pigeon House
- Make the side panels. Measure and cut two pieces of plywood 40 inches on the bottom, 80 inches on one side, and 60 inches on the other side. For the top, mark and cut from the top of the left to the top of the right. The angled top provides a slope for drainage.
- Construct the legs and floor supports. Cut 12-inch pieces off the end of four 2 by 4 boards. This creates four 84-inch pieces and four 12-inch pieces. Align one 12-inch piece parallel to the flat side of one 84-inch piece, even with the bottom. Repeat for the additional three legs. The 12-inch pieces are the floor supports.
- Attach the side panels to the legs. Lay two legs on the ground with the floor supports facing up. Place one side panel on the legs, aligning the sides to the edge of the legs. Place the bottom edge of the side panel against the floor support. Mark and cut off the excess 2 by 4 board at the top angled edge. Repeat for the other side. Lay the side panels back in place and attach to the legs with nails.
- Construct the top support. On the outside of one side panel, measure and cut a 2 by 4 board to fit the area between the leg boards at the top. Nail the board to the side panel. Repeat for the opposite side panel.
- Make the floor. Cut two of the 2 by 4 boards 44 inches long. Cut eight 37-inch pieces of the 2 by 4 boards. Lay two of the 44-inch boards on edge on top of the floor supports between the two side panels and nail into place. Lay the eight 37-inch boards on the flat edge, spaced 1 1/2 inches apart, across the width of the floor. Nail the boards into place.
- Make the back panel. Measure and cut a sheet of plywood 80 inches by 48 inches. Nail the back panel to the back side of the leg boards. Align the top of the back panel with the top of the leg boards.
- Make the front panel. Measure and cut a sheet of plywood 60 inches by 48 inches.
- Cut a door panel. Locate the center of the front panel. Measure and cut a door panel 33 inches high by 24 inches wide.
- Attach the door panel to the front panel hole with hinges 5 inches from the left top edge and 5 inches from the left bottom edge.
- Attach the door latch to the right side of the door panel 15 inches from the top of the panel. Attach the keeper to the front side, aligned with the latch.
- Attach the front panel. Nail the front panel to the front side of the leg boards. Align the top of the front panel with the top of the leg boards.
- Build the roof. Cut a sheet of plywood 60 inches by 48 inches. Place the roof on top of the pigeon house and attach securely with nails. Attach shingles with roofing nails.
Things You'll Need to Build Pigeon House
- 3/8-inch plywood, five sheets
- 8 foot 2-inch by 4-inch treated boards, five
- 8 foot 2-inch by 4-inch boards, four
- #16 nails, one pound
- Roofing nails, one pound
- Shingles, one bundle
- Door hinges
- Door latch and keeper